French Onion Soup
Another great recipe to help get you through the cold winter months. This old-fashioned favourite shows that you don’t need to go all out to create satisfying family dinners.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 50g unsalted butter;
- 1 tsp olive oil;
- 4 large onions (about 1kg), sliced;
- 1 tbs brown sugar;
- 50ml brandy;
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock;
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 2 thyme sprigs;
- 4 thick slices sourdough;
- 1 garlic clove, halved;
- 1 cup (120g) grated gruyere cheese.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, sugar and 1 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until golden and caramelised.
- Add the brandy, then increase heat to medium-high and cook for 1-2 minutes until liquid is almost evaporated. Add the chicken stock, balsamic and herbs, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high.
- Grill bread on both sides until golden. Rub one side of each slice with garlic, top with cheese, then grill for a further 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Divide toasts among 4 soup bowls, then ladle over the soup and serve.
- Do you have a favourite family recipe that you would like to share? Send it in and we may feature it in a future eNewsletter.
Source: French Onion Soup.