Protecting And Caring For All Creatures Great And Small Since 1875
This month we congratulate the Royal Societies For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals (RSPCA) – the second top fundraiser for the People’s Choice Community Lottery* in 2013.
*Adrian Brien Hyundai is a Major Platinum Sponsor of the People’s Choice Community Lottery.
Last year the RSPCA raised $20,398 as part of the Community Lottery, a total of 10,199 tickets were sold making them the Community Lottery’s second most successful fundraiser in 2013.
Established in London in 1824, the RSPCA was recognised as the first organisation in the world to focus solely on animal welfare issues.
The South Australian body of the RSPCA was formed in 1875 to protect innocent animals against cruelty and provide treatment and care for thousands of sick, injured and abandoned animals.
To be the leading South Australian authority that strives for excellence in the standards of care and protection of all animals.
The RSPCA SA is a charity whose purpose is to:
- Prevent suffering and cruelty to all animals.
- Continually and actively promote their care.
- Enforce animal welfare legislation in SA.
- Improve animal welfare legislation in SA.
- Provide high quality rescue and welfare services; and
- Raise awareness and lead public debate.
Their work is guided by the 5 Freedoms for Animals:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet that maintains full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animals own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
You can learn more about the RSPCA from their website… http://www.rspcasa.asn.au/.